Jul 25, 2010

Magnetic Spice Rack


The organizer in me loves this kind of magnetic spice rack because of the accessibility, industrial look and addition of color to the kitchen. HOWEVER, I don't like the prices; some of them go for over $100 (NOT including the cost of spices)!
The main impediment to this style is price if I want: (1) 20 plus spice jars, and (2) To spend under $50.

On the left is an example of these spice arrangement for that achieves #2. However, it provides for only an assortment of 12 spices. Similarly, for $20 could purchase a set of Kamenstein 6-Canister Magnetic-Strip Spice Rack, but I would still spend $80 if I wanted over 20 spice jars...
 

... Thus, and perhaps not surprisingly, I've decided to make my own...

Although this DIY Wall-Mounted Spice Rack from The Kitchn is cool, I wanted the containers to have clear tops like in the above images. I discovered this Instructables only after I finished my own magnetic spice rack. Here's my own, amateur solution:



Supplies:

- 25 x Tin Flat Containers 2.5 oz w/Clear Top = $15.75 plus shipping
- 25 x Neodymium magnets = $16.25 plus shipping
- Some double-sided 3M tape (I was lazy- I would have used glue, but this is what I had laying around the house.)

- An erasable pen like the kind your teacher used on the whiteboard (again, it's what I had laying around the house and I didn't want to wait until I got around to buying a labeler). I actually like this feature since it means I can use the containers interchangeably.


VOILA! For a total of $32 plus shipping, I managed to get 25 magnetic spice jars. They're currently on my fridge, but I may get a magnetic sheet for them once we're more settled into our new digs.


-