Jun 15, 2010

Semi-Serious & Rustic-Chic in Waitsburg, WA

A GASTROPUB OVERVIEW - THE JIM GERMAN BAR


Just outside of Walla Walla and nestled among rolling hills of peas, wheat, and wine lies the small (SMALL) town of Waitsburg. Word had reached Walla Walla that a new gastropub had opened on the town's dusty Main Street and was a must-try. So on word-of-mouth alone, we visited the Jim German Bar (named for the bar's owner) for cocktails and appetizers before walking across the street to the old classic, "Whoopemup".


COMME A MARSEILLE PASTIS OLIVE DRINK 24" X 36" VINTAGE POSTER REPROI had a less than stellar experience at our chosen dinner venue: unrelenting air conditioning coming from all angles including at your feet which is cold and distracting if you are wearing shorts; an order for a medium-rare steak presented as "well-done"; but FANTASTIC deserts!

Martini and Rossi Styles Art Poster Print by Marcello Dudovich, 24x36The beverage options and ambiance at the Jim German, on the other hand, left a lasting positive impression. Jim and his wife are aware of the true meaning of aperitif, and the drinks menu pays homage to many alcohols from around the world. I was particularly excited to see a plethora of Pastis beverages as well as various versions of Vermouth. Additionally, the mixed drinks were delightful and deceptively stiff. Trevor ordered a Mint Julep and I ordered a Pineau des Charents blanc, which was served properly chilled.

We also had the chorizo in red wine ($8) and Claire's Cornucopia Antipasto  ($15-25) - Somewhat small portions for 3-4 people, but the "Etruscan Snacks"  were served unpretentiously and tasted delicious.

The fare was fantastic and gave me a rosy demeanor in which to walk around and explore the space. This is the real reason why I decided to write about the Jim German here.




The space has high ceilings and a rustic-chic air. Overall sparsely decorated, the tables and stools were simple constructions from natural, light wood (after my own table-building experience, I tend to notice the dining furniture wherever I go), which provided a nice contrast to the dark wood floors. The natural hues were  humorously punctuated with a bright blue entrance and a goldenrod-yellow slat ceiling.

A few details stood out most of all:

[1]


Jim is growing hops outside to block the evening sun of his west-facing building.

Although they aren't fully grown, it's a beautiful start and I found them to be really pleasant to the eye against the backdrop of his blue door.

[2] 

The clever menu-display which was floor-to-ceiling brown roll-up paper (I can't wait to do something like this in my own house- if anyone knows where to find this sort of thing, let me know!!):


[3]

The long and light-filled communal dining space, called "Heaven" in reference to the Talking Head song, is adjacent to the main room and accessorized by the owners' artwork, a rolling barn door, and a heartbreakingly perfect architectural brick wall at the end of the room (not pictured very well since I was taking pictures with my boyfriend's phone):

 
[4]
 
And, finally, I was beyond giddy with delight to find a tree- a live, large TREE- in the bathroom!




True to the rest of the building's theme, the bathroom was bright and sparse, with classic colors, a few meaningful details and lovely architectural features.