Jan 22, 2011

Small Biz Showcase: Trevor Larkin Music

10, or 9 TRAITS THAT REAL MUSICIANS (& ENTREPRENEURS) SHOULD HAVE:

In the midst of teaching, performing, session work, and finalizing his latest EP, this magna cum laude graduate from Berklee College of Music paused the chaos to discuss his freelance lifestyle, the music industry, and how he keeps his music honest.
 

Trevor Larkin has made the conscious decision to keep positive-thinking on his side and pursue his passions in an intellectual methodology that informs and inspires entrepreneurs in every field. After spending just a few minutes with Mr. Larkin, it becomes obvious that his experiences transcend the music community, and his explanations in this interview have universal applications to the music and business worlds alike.


Ten discoveries about Trevor Larkin, and ten nine values that real musicians and entrepreneurs should have:


1) HIS NAME APPEARS IN PORN PRODUCTIONS 
(maybe this isn't one of those values):

JY: Tell us about yourself. What nifty tidbit can’t we find if we Google your bio?

TL:
If you Google my name, you might find a profile on IMDB for a Trevor Larkin, nicknamed “the Kid,” who worked on several small movies as a key grip. You may also discover that Trevor Larkin is the name of a porn producer. I’m neither one of these guys.


2) HE'S WILLING TO GET HIS HANDS DIRTY:

JY: We know you’re a musician, but what sort of things do you do?

TL: Honestly, pretty much everything I do involves music. I’m very lucky that my job is my passion. I have to balance all of the day-to-day logistical obligations any entrepreneur and small business owner has to contend with, along with making sure my creative commitments are honored. I’m in three bands, not including my own material, so practicing and writing takes up a huge chunk of my day. Then factor in business admin, preparing online content, teaching, numerous sessions and side gigs…the list goes on and on. It doesn’t leave much time for watching Simpson's re-runs! But I wouldn’t have it any other way. Being your own boss and doing something you love for a living is a unique privilege. And besides, if I had a day gig, I’d be doing all this music stuff in my spare time, any way! 


3) HE KEEPS HIS STYLE CONGRUENT WITH HIS VALUES:

JY: How do you describe your music to other people?

TL: Lyrically, it’s empathic, a little dry and sarcastic, confident but with a hint of melancholy. Musically, the melody is king, and it’s supported by simple chord changes. I guess I’d say my music is honest, beautiful, simple and unpretentious. 


4) HE'S NOT AFRAID TO TAKE IT ALL OFF:

JY: What image do you think your music conveys?

TL: I’d say that my music portrays my personality pretty accurately, and I think that’s what makes it special. In today’s music world, there’s a lot of homogenous nonsense cluttering up the airwaves as people make an effort to cash in on flash-in-the-pan trends. The music business is changing rapidly, and artists are scared to make a stand with their own vision when somebody else is already making money. That’s not what I want. When people listen to my music, they’re getting- for better or worse- an experience that’s uniquely me. I can’t write music any other way. That’s either going to see me through to great things or sabotage my career beyond repair! I hope that the image my music conveys is similar to how I’d describe my tunes- honest, beautiful, simple and unpretentious. 


5) HE DIVERSIFIES:

JY: What are you working on currently?

TL: I’ve got a new EP in works that I’m extremely excited about. It’s the best music I’ve written yet. I’m all done tracking and should be done mixing and mastering in a few weeks.

JY: Thoughts about the direction you want your work to go? Long term career goals?

TL: Specifically, I’d love to become a full-time recording artist- making records and touring the world. More generally, I’d like to see my career centered around songwriting. I enjoy working with other creative people and could easily see myself writing and producing material for other artists. 


6) HE SCHEDULES CREATIVITY INTO HIS DAY:

JY: Can you briefly describe your music-making process?

TL: I tend to write music in bits and pieces. I write everyday, but rarely will write an entire song in one sitting. I’ll usually pick my guitar, start playing through some simple chords or riffs and just let my mind wander. I’ll start humming along or singing random words, and a melody will start taking shape. Lyrically, I like to start with a title. It’d be difficult, for example, to write a book without first knowing the plot. I don’t know any author who just sits down at their computer and wings it. A great title immediately shapes a song’s narrative. It makes you think, “well, how can I bring this idea to life?” Your imagination has something to grab onto. 


7) HE IS TIDY: 

JY: How do you balance your music with other obligations? 

TL: I know a lot of artists who feel staying on top of mundane, day-to-day life is somehow inauthentic. I’ve never had that problem. For me, it all ultimately serves the music. If I’m stressed out about money- have piles of unpaid bills, the landlord breathing down my neck and an empty fridge- there’s no way I’m going to be able to concentrate on my songwriting. I tend to be pretty fastidious about organization and time management- I know that if I’m distracted, or feel like I’m bullshitting myself, people will hear that in my music. There’s always a lot to do in a day- at times trying to fit everything in can be overwhelming- but I make it work. 


8) HE STAYS INFORMED:

JY: When I’ve talked to other musicians, they seem to be pretty jaded about record labels, getting signed, and living the dream of a famous rock star. What is your perspective on the evolution of the music industry?

TL: Well, that’s the million-dollar question. It used to be that the labels controlled all outlets for recorded music- record sales, radio, music videos, etc. These days, anyone can check out whatever artist they want to on YouTube for free, buy directly from independent musicians through any number of DIY services and, of course, download music (hopefully, but not usually, legally). The old business model relied on music being scarce, which it clearly isn’t anymore. Record labels obviously can’t survive anymore on record sales alone. I think it’s going to take all the bigwigs from the music, TV, movie, and video game businesses- along with tech companies and internet service providers- sitting down and figuring out some way of integrating their businesses and sharing profits. From an independent artist’s perspective, though, it’s counterproductive loosing too much sleep over the state of the business. The music business is really only as good as the songs and characters driving it- whatever the business is going to become, it’s going to need genuine, passionate music fueling the evolution. I think the most important outcome from all this upheaval will be the realization that people are more then happy to pay for great art, but not so happy paying for bullshit. 


9) HE IS COMMITTED: 

JY: What suggestions would you give to someone who is interested in music and wants to do it professionally?

TL: I’d probably just tell them to commit. If you’re thinking you might want to go to grad school, or maybe dabble in golf or some other hobby, then don’t bother pursuing music professionally. In order to realistically get a foot in the door and establish a career, as with any start-up business, you have to dedicate every waking hour towards cultivating your craft. There’s too much to do and stay on top of, and if you approach music with the same dedication you would an eight-to-five job you’re not going to see any progress. 


10) HE IS SELF-AWARE:

JY: How do you define the word “success”?

TL: I like the Stephen King line- if you’re getting paid for your writing, and you’re using that money to pay the electricity bill, then you’re successful. Ultimately, it’s about staying in the game and keeping your head on straight. For me, I define success as continued progress. If I’m not working with the most talented professionals possible, or writing the most compelling music I can, then I’m doing something wrong. If I can keep those two things going, then whatever happens is going to be authentic to my art, which I hope is a good thing! Having a productive attitude is a huge component to success as well. Not surprisingly, I can’t think of a single jaded and cynical musician who’s proud of their art or has anything good to say about anyone else. Sacrificing faith in good people and dismissing talent is profoundly sad to see.

JY: What would you like to get from today’s interview?

TL: I’m always excited to talk with enthusiastic and positive music fans, people with informed but unpretentious musical tastes. I hope people will read this interview, find it interesting, check out a tune or two and get hooked!




Check out Trevor Larkin:





Do you want your small business or a small business you know to be featured in a Small Biz Showcase? 
Contact Jill