I found the Women's Business Exchange (WBE) in an effort to find mentors who were women. I was six months into my first office job and I worked for and with "the good ol' boys".
Although there was nothing wrong between my coworkers and me, there was distance that I couldn't shorten; a wall that I could not break. To older white men in a small office environment, a young attractive woman was dangerous- she could claim harassment and end the business. She also communicated strangely and followed hunches instead of directions... I ached for the presence and intuition of a woman who I could look up to.
I joined the WBE at the end of my first meeting. I met women who were CEO's, Presidents, entrepreneurs, and all of them commanded an authentic and powerful presence.
My whole office would have been scared to death of them.
They were a lifeline to me long before I actually needed to network and market myself; a monthly rejuvenation from the tedium and frustration in my jobs. When the time came for me to launch my independent endeavors, the WBE became a major source for developing an enthusiastic clientele, and also a source of support on personal as well as professional fronts. This community is a force to be reckoned with and a safe haven when I need authenticity, encouragement, and spiritual nourishment.
Please join us:
www.wbex.org
2nd Thursday of each month
7 am - 9 am
