DISCUSSION POINT:
The Power of Vision - Achieving Your Goals, Starting Your Dream Business, And Creating Your Very Own Masterpiece.
I have a problem.
My mom used to define this problem as being "too picky". This applied to my choices in guys, clothes, purchases, etc.
The truth is that I have a picture in my mind of exactly what I want, and it seems impossible (in the "real" world, I mean) to conjure it myself.
1) IT DOES EXIST: |
Somewhere.
And it did- IT DOES- exist! I just have to show a little (and sometimes A LOT) of patience.
2) IT'S OKAY TO BE PICKY:
Being picky doesn't have to be a negative trait; as much agony as it may cause for me when I can't find what I'm looking for, I'm happier after the wait than if I had settled for something I intuitively knew was wrong for me.
This works the same way for business, too. Shaboom, Inc. writes about the importance for a small business to be picky when attracting clients, especially in this down economy. In Praise of Small Ponds: Why Being Picky Is Good for Business summarizes the traps that small business fall into when trying to attract a clientele:
In any economic situation, the quickest way for a tiny business to fail is to:
1. Be as general as you can to attract the widest possible range of potential clients and customers.
2. Take care not to turn anyone off; tone down your personality.
3. Be careful not to scare people away by talking about price.
4. When you do discuss price, quote the lowest price possible.
1. Be as general as you can to attract the widest possible range of potential clients and customers.
2. Take care not to turn anyone off; tone down your personality.
3. Be careful not to scare people away by talking about price.
4. When you do discuss price, quote the lowest price possible.
This approach ensures that your tiny business will get lost in a very big pond.
And, for small fish, the key to success is to make the pond smaller, not bigger.
Just like I found the love of my life after living most of my (albeit, young) life with only the silent conviction that he existed somewhere in the world, I also found many smaller day-to-day items whose details make me supremely satisfied.
3) BEING PICKY WORKS:
The lesson here is that being picky is not a bad quality if what you are really doing is pursuing a vision. It is imperative that you never underestimate the power of vision and the impact of emotion.
If you dream it- and believe it!- it will come.
4) ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE:
I provide an example at the bottom of this post: a copy of my email sent over a year ago to countless breeders, adoption agencies, and pet shelters during my search for a Bengal pet cat. To describe the email as "thorough" is probably an understatement, but it is a perfect example of being clear about what you want.
Furthermore, because I clearly stated my vision, I found EXACTLY what I was looking for.
Although, I have countless personal anecdotes of using vision to achieve success, my email in search of the perfect bengal cat is a documented example of this achievement. I am still amazed that it manifested so rapidly and precisely!
To continue the conversation about being "picky", or using VISION to bring your dreams to life, comment below!
5) AN EXAMPLE:
Hello,
I am interested in adopting a Bengal cat. In perusing your website, I could not find what cats you had available for adoption. If you have a Bengal, or a suggestion of another breed, please let me know; I live in Seattle.
While I adore kittens in general, my boyfriend and I are looking for a cat who is a bit more mature, and I love that Bengals are a social and personable breed! Furthermore, we would prefer to adopt a rescued animal rather than purchase from a breeder; there are too many cats in shelters who need a loving home.
My boyfriend and I have been considering getting a cat for some time now. I heard about bengals from a friend who is "cat sitting" one for an extended period of time, and then in researching cat breeds to find an animal who would be a good fit for us. I am attracted to bengals because of their intelligence, mainly. I grew up with pets and, every once in a while, an animal would come along who was clearly more intelligent- and more like a friend/family member than a pet- than the average cat, parakeet, etc. (Yes, I had a parakeet who would go on bikerides and climb trees with me when I was a kid). =)
The fact that Bengals are BRED, in part, for their intelligence means that the traits that I enjoy in my pet doesn't have to be a "crapshoot" afterall. So after further research, I've fallen in love with the breed. I only hope that I would be a good fit for one of them!
Here is a little more about us:
Our names are Jill and Trevor. We've been together for over two years, and we've known each other for longer; any cat entering the picture will be coming into an already-stable relationship of two very loving people.
We are both loving animal people, and have grown up with cats. When we stay at friends' and families' homes, the cats typically sleep with us. There are a few reasons why we haven't yet made the final ownership step:
- We are both working, "young professionals" (a forensic accountant and a musician), and would prefer a mature cat; we are interested in a pet who is already house broken, "fixed", and socialized. We also have a balcony, and I feel confident that an adult cat will behave more responsibly on it than a kitten. The balcony is 6 stories up, by the way.
- We are concerned about getting an untreatable, physically and/or emotionally unhealthy adult cat, or a cat with a set-in-its-ways, displeasing personality.
- The start-up costs (spaying/neutering, vaccines, etc), although we are fully prepared for the "maintenance" costs, and adoption fees.
We are fairly laid-back and tidy people, and I'd say that Trevor is the calmer of the two of us. While Trevor is perhaps more interested in cuddling and lounging with a cat, I am gung-ho about going on "adventures" with one (I had a fantastic domestic short hair that enjoyed adventures when I was in high school). My work hours are regular 8-5, M-F, and Trevor's hours are noon-8, MWThF, so a cat will have a lot of company, despite our busy work lives. We have friends who are excellent pet-sitters when we're out of town. We also have a spacious roof-top deck that a harnessed cat would enjoy visiting (there is, however, a doggy pee-patch there, as well). On the whole, we are looking for a furry little personality to cuddle and pad around the apartment with us. As we live in a somewhat urban environment, I wouldn't mind finding one who is harness trained, as well.
Please let me know if any cats come your way that would be suitable as per my [rather lengthy] email.
Thank you.
Please see this Blog's other bengal cat posts to view the amazing manifestations that resulted from this email:

