May 20, 2010

Project: Build a Planter - Save Money

Since planter boxes always seem to be not quite the dimensions I want for not quite the price I want to spend, I decided to get creative and build my own.

I have the joy of living a walk away from the Re-Store ( see the site for more info, http://www.re-store.org/index.php , it’s gorgeous) and after some creative exploration and some great planning help from Jeremy the Re-Store guy, I found some treated cedar siding, 0.5′ x 6′ long, for under $1 a piece. Hallelujah!


I wanted my planter to be 1′ tall by 6′ long, so I hammered metal “panel-things” (I have no clue what they’re called by actual handymen) to connect the boards so that they were two boards’-width, i.e. one foot, high.
Enough chat, here are pics of the final, although plant-less, product. I think you’ll get the idea:

(Do you see what I mean when I say call them metal “panel things”?)


Perhaps the planter isn’t perfect, but it’s perfect for my purpose. And I don’t think the plants will mind…
Also, I’d like to give a shout-out to my dad and Trevor for helping me with the tedious and LOUD hammering of those pesky metal panels!

I’ll update these pictures once greenery gets planted.