May 19, 2010

Mosaic Mirrors- Find a New Value In Old & Broken Stuff



Mex Mosaic Mirror1
When two of my favorite plates- ceramic handpainted in Mexico- broke, I delayed tossing them out. Instead, I placed them in a box and allowed my ideas to “percolate” around the broken but still lovely pieces. The result is this mirror (ikea mirror from prior to college, plus broken plates, plus industrial glue/hot glue… a dab of glass or paint now and again).
Mex Mosaic Mirror2.jpeg   Mex Mosaic Mirror.jpeg
I am attracted to color and texture, so it’s no suprise that I like mosaics.

Furthermore, the use of my right brain to create in tandem with my left brain to fit the puzzle pieces together makes mosaic-ing a wonderfully fun project.

Not only are mosaics a great way to exercise both sides of the brain, but making them can be a tremendous stress releiver as well, depending on how many things you smash, tear, and break! In order to find the right colors and shapes, I’ll hammer and smash many of my items that were once deemed to be “useless”.

Here was my mother’s birthday present this year (red acrylic, rocks from Alki, copper wire, driftwood, smashed glass):
MomMirror2.jpeg   MomMirror1.jpeg   MomMirror3.jpeg

A note: I inevitably got paint onto the glass surface, but it cleared away nicely with nail polish remover and a q-tip once I was done!