May 19, 2010

Project: The Building of Work Table

The riveting conclusion of my search for the right “all purpose table”


Pictures say all:

Build the Frame:
P1020178  P1020180
Trevor’s well-earned blister ; The table – Complete!
P1020184  P1020187

Time to refresh & refuel with a simple salad of herbs and fresh baby tomatoes.
P1020192

So we have this table….
P1020182
… But where do we sit?!

STOOLS
I discovered that counter-height stools can be EXPENSIVE!  Here’s what I’d like:
http://www.tolix.fr/h65_h70_h75_h80.html
(I encountered this style at the bar of “Brasserie Four” in Walla Walla, WA – unfortunately, I only took a picture of the one in the bathroom)

P1020062

But they’re about $240 each, and I just can’t afford it.
However, I know what I want: a classic, simple, industrial design. I love the yellow color, but I’ll settle for simple wood.
While I found other barstools that I liked, I just couldn’t find them at a price that I was willing to pay. However, building the table gave me tons of confidence in my carpentry “skills”. So I decided to build some simple seating:

P1020199
P1020198 P1020200P1020205

And I’m done!
I measured so that the stools would be just right to stow neatly under the table under the table.

P1020208 P1020206


Which is a great feature when the table is doubling up as another countertop/workspace.

P1020216
P1020196
Cat-aided & Approved!