May 20, 2010

Project: Renter's Indoor Bike Rack

Floor-to-ceiling bike storage

Floor-to-Ceiling, MOVEABLE Bike Storage Using Tension -   An EXCELLENT and INEXPENSIVE Small Space Solution.

I’ve lived in the city for a while and 2 bikes have already “disappeared” from their racks outside. I love the idea of storing my bikes in the apartment, but then there is the frustration of having to climb over bikes if you’re trying to get to the bathroom or get the milk out of the fridge (I *might* be exaggerating, but you get the point). The options for storing bikes off the floor aren’t many when you are renting. Here were my requirements for bike storage indoors:
- No holes in the wall or ceiling
- Capacity to store two bikes off the ground
- A system that is tall enough for 11′ ceilings
- Minimal cost – no more than $50 – $60.
- STURDY
- Not ugly. seriously.

REI and Amazon.com sell nice, sleek bike racks like what I’m looking for, but nothing fit my style/utility/price criteria.

I concluded that I’d have to “invent” my own. I researched how to join pipes to create a sturdy tension rod, and researched various methods for securing “racks”. But then I found an inexpensive DIY solution on one of my FAVORITE sites, Ikea Hacker:

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2008/02/stolmen-bike-rack.html

Thank you, Michael, for posting your bike rack solution!

Thus, I spent a weekend collecting the materials, cutting pipe, and assembling. With the help of my lovely boyfriend to mount the bikes…..

VOILA!


Cost: 

Square Aluminum Pipe- $10 (Home Depot)

1 Ikea-Stolmen Tension Rod – $15 (from Craigslist)

4 Ikea-Stolmen hooks – $4 (Ikea)

2 Ikea-Stolmen attachments – $5 (Craigslist again)

6 2″ Bolts & nuts – $2 (Home Depot)

Total: $36.00